Looking for: Catering Manager
- Responsible to: JustWork Executive Director
- Direct Reports: JustCatering Employees
- Location: Vancouver, BC
- Hours: 30-35 hours per week (mostly M-F, occasional evening & weekends)
JustWork Economic Initiative is a social enterprise in Vancouver, BC that provides dignified, gainful employment to people who struggle to work in the traditional workforce. We believe in the dignity of all people, empowering those facing barriers with work opportunities, eliciting their gifts and capacities for work, therefore, their ability to contribute to the common good. JustCatering, one of the initatives of JustWork, is looking for a Catering Manager who can assist with job quoting, project management, and general work oversight and completion.
The ideal candidate will uphold our values which are:
- Empowerment: Everyone has something to give. We entrust people with work opportunities, encouraging their gifts and empowering them to do meaningful work that benefits their community.
- Mutuality: We rely on each other - Everyone plays a role as we co-create a more caring and just workplace and community.
- Stewardship: Honouring the gifts we've been given, we honour our relationships and resources by caring for our employees, providing quality goods and services to our clients, cultivating fiscal responsibility, and striving for environmental sustainability.
The Catering Manager manages and directs all aspects of our food based business: customer relations, pricing and job costing, menu planning, food preparation, and staff scheduling. We are looking for the right candidate with an entrepreneurial spirit who is interested in product development alongside a regular Monday to Friday daytime catering schedule. The person who fills this role will come into an organization with a team of catering employees and ten successful years of catering events ranging from business lunches to weddings.
- Certified Food Safe Level 1
- Managerial experience, preferably in a food related industry; 2+ years in a supervisory role and/or experience starting or running a small business
- Able to work well with people from diverse backgrounds, vulnerable people, and people facing barriers to employment
- Passionate about food, and able to maintain a sustainable catering menu that is healthy and delicious
- Strong English communication skills - both verbal and written
- Strong computer skills including email, texts, documents, and invoicing software
- Excellent interpersonal and facilitation skills; good team player
- Valid class 5 driver’s license (vehicle for pickup and deliveries provided)
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Planning and Execution: Work with customers to plan menus; lead a team to ensure an excellent end result; able to make good decisions in stressful situations. Prompt and organized while fielding customer inquiries and dialoguing with customers.
- Administration: Adept in working with web-based software, with good attention to detail, and organizational skills. A capacity to successfully manage financial aspects of the business, including job costing and profitability, payroll and invoicing. Must be able to work within set budgets and coordinates regular inventory counts.
- People: Demonstrated ability to work well alongside people who come from a range of socio-economic backgrounds and who face a variety of physical and mental disabilities. A positive and understanding leadership style is essential.
- $25/hour+ commensurate with experience
- Benefits & pension package after 3 months of employment
Mid September 2023
If interested, please send your resume and a cover letter outlining your interest to our operations coordinator at email@example.com.