Looking for: Events Chef (casual on-call)
- Responsible to: JustWork Executive Director
- Direct Reports: JustCatering Employees
- Location: Vancouver, BC
- Hours: casual
JustWork Economic Initiative is a social enterprise in Vancouver, BC that provides dignified, gainful employment to people who struggle to work in the traditional workforce. We believe in the dignity of all people, empowering those facing barriers with work opportunities, eliciting their gifts and capacities for work, and therefore, their ability to contribute to the common good. JustCatering, one of the initiatives of JustWork, is looking for an Events Chef who can assist with special events from kitchen supervision to event coordination.
The ideal candidate will uphold our values which are:
- Empowerment: Everyone has something to give. We entrust people with work opportunities, encouraging their gifts and empowering them to do meaningful work that benefits their community.
- Mutuality: We rely on each other - Everyone plays a role as we co-create a more caring and just workplace and community.
- Stewardship: Honouring the gifts we've been given, we honour our relationships and resources by caring for our employees, providing quality goods and services to our clients, cultivating fiscal responsibility, and striving for environmental sustainability.
The JustCatering Events Chef is a casual on-call position. We are looking for an experienced caterer to join us as a team leader for special events and other catering opportunities.
The person who fills this role will come into an organization with a team of catering employees and ten successful years of catering events ranging from business lunches to weddings.
- Certified Food Safe Level 1
- Catering experience with 2+ years in a supervisory role and/or experience starting or running a small business
- Able to work well with people from diverse backgrounds, vulnerable people, and people facing barriers to employment
- Knowledgeable of food trends, large quantity food preparation and presentation, and
- able to follow established recipes and kitchen routines
- Strong English communication skills - both verbal and written
- Strong computer skills including email, texts, documents, and invoicing software
- Excellent interpersonal and facilitation skills; good team player
- Valid class 5 driver’s license (vehicle for pickup and deliveries provided)
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
- Planning and Execution: Work with preset menus; lead a team to ensure an excellent end result; able to make good decisions in stressful situations. Whenever necessary, able to set up or break down catering events, prepare food and lead a team to serve guests.
- People: Demonstrated ability to work well alongside people who come from a range of socio-economic backgrounds and who face a variety of physical and mental disabilities. A positive and understanding leadership style is essential.
As soon as possible (position will be open until filled)
If interested, please send your resume and a cover letter to our operations coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.